Defense Minister Yoav Gallant reacts defiantly to Tehran’s announcement of hypersonic missile
Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant dismissed Iran’s announcement that it had developed its first hypersonic missile, saying Israel would always be able to counter any threat.
“I hear our enemies brag about the weapons they are developing. We have a better response to any such development — whether on land, in the air or at sea, both defensive and offensive,” Grant assured reporters Tuesday during a visit to the military’s Northern Command.
Iran showed off its new weapon, dubbed Fatah, at a high-profile event earlier in the day. It is said to have a range of 1,400 kilometers and a speed of up to 15 times the speed of sound, or Mach 15. President Ibrahim Raisi praised it for significantly enhancing Iran’s deterrence.
Hypersonic weapons are harder to intercept than slower-moving weapons, but achieving the necessary speeds during atmospheric flight is a major technical challenge. Some military experts believe that existing anti-missile systems cannot reliably stop hypersonic projectiles.
Iran claims hypersonic breakthrough
Iranian media said Fatah was able to bypass the most advanced defense systems of the United States and Israel. Tehran first claimed a breakthrough in hypersonic technology last November, when it announced it was developing a long-range weapon that could enter and exit the atmosphere.
While Iran touts new system as defensive, Gallant warns Israel will provide “Overwhelming hit” If attacked, its enemies. He spoke as the Israeli military was conducting two weeks of military exercises focused on simulating a multi-front war against Iran and its regional allies.
You can share this story on social media: