Florida Teen Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba


Sept. 11, 2020 — The parents of a 13-year-old boy in Florida who died from brain-eating amoeba want to warn others about the risk of the waterborne infection.

Tanner Lake Wall, 13, became ill after a family vacation last month at a North Florida campground that has a lake and water park. He was hospitalized and put on a ventilator, but taken off life support on Aug. 2 after he showed no brain activity, CBS News reported.

The teen’s parents hope their tragedy alerts other families to the dangers of this amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri.

“So parents are aware, maybe they weren’t thinking about it because I can sure tell you we weren’t,” the teen’s father, Travis Wall said, CBS News reported. “We grew up swimming in ponds and creeks and stuff like that.”

Typically found in warm fresh water, such as lakes, rivers and springs, Naegleria fowleri can get into the brain when contaminated water enters the nose, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

WebMD News from HealthDay


Copyright © 2013-2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.



Source link

Discover

Sponsor

spot_imgspot_img

Latest

Child-care workers among the ‘one of the lowest paid occupations’

Of all the hardships child-care workers face, the biggest may be that they're not paid a living wage in many states, according to a...

TCM on front line in battle with virus

submitted by /u/kongweeneverdie Source link

Audi Q8 PHEV debuts, but not for America

Audi is entering the U.S. with a full slate of plug-in hybrid offerings for the Q5, A7 and A8. However, not every PHEV...

2021 Mercedes-AMG GT receives 523-horsepower V8

Mercedes-AMG seemingly disagreed with us when we labeled the GT's 469-horsepower output "more than adequate," because it's injecting more 54 horses into the...