Trump doctor says president has not had stroke or heart emergencies


Dr. Sean Conley, third from right, a Navy veteran and President Donald Trump personal physician, walks to Marine One from the White House in Washington, Saturday, April 28, 2018, for the short trip to Andrews Air Force Base en route to Michigan with the president.

Carolyn Kaster | AP

President Donald Trump’s doctor, in an extraordinary official statement Tuesday, said that Trump has not experienced or been evaluated for a stroke, mini-stroke or heart-related emergencies.

The statement came hours after Trump claimed that unnamed people are “trying to say that your favorite President, me, went to Walter Reed Medical Center, having suffered a series of mini-strokes.

“Never happened to THIS candidate – FAKE NEWS,” Trump wrote in a tweet.

Dr. Sean Conley, the president’s physician, said in the statement that Trump “has asked that I … address the recent public comments regarding his health.”

“I can confirm that President Trump has not experienced nor been evaluated for a cerebrovascular accident (stroke), transient ischemic attack (mini stroke), or any acute cardiovascular emergencies, as have been incorrectly reported in the media,” Conley said.

“The President remains healthy and I have no concerns about his ability to maintain the rigorous schedule ahead of him,” Conley said.

“As stated in my last report, I expect him to remain fit to execute the duties of the Presidency,” he added

The White House did not immediately respond to an email from CNBC asking what media had reported such a claim. There have been no reports in mainstream president may have suffered a stroke, mini-stroke or heart attack.

However, there has been speculation on Twitter in recent days that the president may have had a stroke at the time he made a vist to Walter Reed Medical Center last November, a visit that had not been previously announced on his official schedule.

The White House at the time had claimed that Trump went to the hospital for medical tests as part of his annual physical.

Joe Lockhart, who served as White House press secretary under President Bill Clinton, on Monday tweeted, “Did @realDonaldTrump have a stroke which he is hiding from the American public?”

Lockhart’s tweet came on the heels of a report by CNN about a forthcoming book by New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt, who wrote that he had learned “in the hours leading up to Trump’s trip to the hospital, word went out in the West Wing for the vice president [Mike Pence] to be on standby to take over the powers of the presidency temporarily if Trump had to undergo a procedure that would have required him to be anesthetized.”

This is breaking news. Check back for updates.





Source link

Discover

Sponsor

Latest

ECB’s Lagarde says further economic stimulus on standby

President of the European Central Bank Christine Lagarde holds a press conference during the informal meeting of European Union ministers for economic and...

U.S. auto industry’s post-coronavirus sales recovery continued in Q3

As automakers announce third-quarter sales results, analysts are expecting good news to come out of what functionally amounts to the first full quarter...

Oil drops 8% to multi-month low on demand fears

Pump jacks operate near Loco Hills on April 23, 2020 in Eddy County, New Mexico.Paul Ratje | Getty ImagesOil prices tumbled to their...

Trump will take Covid-19 test before next debate with Joe Biden

U.S. President Donald Trump participates in the first 2020 presidential campaign debate with Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, held on the campus of...

Democrats unveil bill to fund government

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., speaks during her weekly news conference in the Capitol on Friday, Sept. 18, 2020.Caroline Brehman |...